Disability Website Links
The websites links listed on this page are placed in the following categories:
- Complex Communication Needs
- Cultural and Linguistic Diversity
- Mailing Lists/News
- New Apprenticeships/Traineeships
- Privacy Information for Disability Services
- Self-directed approaches
- Service Seekers
- Useful Software for the Internet
- Web Accessibility
- The Australian Group on Severe Communication Impairment (AGOSCI) - AGOSCI is a group representing people with complex communication needs, as well as those who live, know or work with people with complex communication needs.
- Communication Aid User's Society Inc. (CAUS) - An advocacy group with a focus upon communication that offers information, resources and training.
- The Communication Resource Centre - The Communication Resource Centre provides information and advice for all issues involving people who have little or no speech or who may be difficult to understand
- ComTEC - ComTEC is a service of Yooralla and offers services throughout Victoria to people of all ages with a disability who have communication and technology needs. ComTEC also presented the FIELD communication workshops in 2001
- DEAL Communication Centre Inc - A great and informative site, offering lots of useful information and links.
- Keyword Sign Australia - Key Word Sign Australia is located in the Special Education Centre at the University of Newcastle, NSW. Key Word Sign Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that is run under the auspices of the University of Newcastle. Key Word Sign Australia acts as a central organising and co-ordinating body for Key Word Sign activities throughout Australia.
- Speech Pathology Australia: - This website offers informative factsheets on Speech Pathology and communication disorders.
- Action on Disability within Ethnic Communities (ADEC) - A community based organisation providing information on the rights and needs of people of non-English speaking background with a disability and their carers.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare - Australia's national agency for health and welfare statistics and information.
- Diversity Rx - Comprehensive American site on Cultural and Linguistic Diversity Issues.
- Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association (MDAA) - This website provides information, links and connections for people from a non-English speaking background (NESB) with disabilities, family members, government and non-government service providers and other interested parties.
- Queensland Health - A website providing information on culturally-sensitive health care in hospitals and community health services.
- The National Ethnic Disability Alliance (NEDA) - is the national consumer-based peak body for people from a non-English speaking background (NESB) with disability, their families and carers.
- The Charter of Public Service in a Culturally Diverse Society website provides strategies and a good practice guide to cultural diversity.
- The Eastern Region Migrant Information Centre provides a range of services for migrants and refugees living in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
- The Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health -The Australian e-Journal for the Advancement of Mental Health is a peer reviewed electronic journal which aims to nurture and encourage understanding of mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention within a multidisciplinary forum.
- The Centre for Developmental Disability Studies (CDDS) - CDDS creates and disseminates knowledge that can improve the lives of people with developmental disabilities
- Community Living Project - provide quality service which enables people who have intellectual and/or multiple disabilities to achieve a purposeful and valued community life.
- The Community Resource Unit - CRU exists to support the development of leadership and authentic change which enhances the possibilities for people with disabilities to belong to and participate in community life
- The Disability Awareness Kit - A Training Resource for Public Library Customer Service Staff. Useful information on the range of different types of disability.
- Divine - A community for and by people with a disability.
- DisAbility Services Division (Department of Human Services)- Direct link to the Disability Services Division of the Victorian Department of Human Services. This site hosts a range of information for disability service providers.
- Homes west -
- Human Rights and Equal Opportunity commission - At this site you can find a range of resources and links on disability rights and discrimination issues.
- NCID - National Council on Intellectual Disability, the recognised national peak body with a single focus on intellectual disability.
- Respitenorth - Respite North is a community focused Internet site providing respite information. The site is coordinated by the Northern Metropolitan Region Respite Network.
- Respitesouthwest - Respite South West is an intranet site designed to improve communication and access to information for all people with an interest in respite issues living in South West Victoria.
- Vicnet - A rich resource for those interested in this area.
- Villamanta Legal Service - Villamanta Legal Service is a Statewide community Legal Centre that specialises in disability related legal issues in Victoria, Australia.
- DisAbilityconnections (Victoria) -- formerly the Western Region Disability Network (WRDN) is a network of over a 1000 people with disabilities, their carers/families, service providers, government and community. Membership is free to anyone who shares our passion for disability issues.
- British Institute of Learning Disabilities - A comprehensive site that supports learning by professionals, care staff, service users and their families.
- Jay Nolan Community Services - The mission of Jay Nolan Community Services, Inc. (JNCS) is to enable individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other Developmental Disabilities to live fulfilling lives as members of the community by providing support services customized to their individual needs.
- Onondaga Community Living - Onondaga Community Living's mission is to empower and individually support people with developmental disabilities in the efforts to live full lives as integral respected members of their community.
- Person-centered Active Support - This website has been set up to support and inform those working directly with people with intellectual disabilities, those training staff to support people with intellectual disabilities and those conducting research or teaching on the provision of high quality services for people with intellectual disabilities.
- The Research and Training Centre on Community Living - The Research and Training Center on Community Living provides research, evaluation, training, technical assistance and dissemination to support the aspirations of persons with developmental disabilities to live full, productive and integrated lives in their communities.
- The Tizard Centre - The Tizard Centre provides degree courses in intellectual and developmental disabilities and autism studies. We conduct high quality research and offer consultancy and training relevant to learning disability, autism, and challenging behaviour, in the UK and internationally.
- Tardive Dyskinesia Centre is a resource centre for Tardive Dyskinesia. Tardive Dyskinesia is an overview of is a result of damage to the bodily systems that process dopamine, and is typically caused by exposure to certain prescriptions medications. The symptoms of TD mimic those of Parkinson’s disease and are irreversible and incurable. Tardive Dyskinesia victims suffer from involuntary, repetitive movements which often continue after the drug is no longer used.
- Australian Flexible Learning Framework - E-learning can transform your training delivery. Explore this site to discover the Australian Flexible Learning Framework, its products and services, and how it can assist you to
embed e-learning and be part of the wider e-learning community.
- National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER) - The principal national organisation for research and evaluation of the Vocational Education and Training Sector. Information on the site includes research, statistics, news and events, there is also a library and reading room.
- Skills Victoria - The Skills Victoria website provides information on education and training options to the community including apprentices, trainees, students, teachers, trainers, businesses and employers. If you are looking for corporate-specific information such as our directions and priorities, support to providers, TAFE and university appointments and our programs and initiatives.
- TAFE Virtual Campus -The TAFE VC website contains over 1000 learning modules offered, for enrolment, by 98 registered training providers in Victoria.
- Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) - The VRQA is responsible for the regulation of all education and training providers in Victoria from home schooling to higher education including overseas secondary student exchange organisations – in total over 3700 providers.
- Education Services Australia - iEducation Services Australia (ESA) is a national, not-for-profit company owned by all Australian education ministers.
- CS&HITB - Community Services and Health Industry Training Board for Victoria
- Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations - New National Training System
- NAC InfoService - Provides training package information to the New Apprenticeship Centres
- Training.gov.au -Welcome to Training.gov.au (TGA), the database on Vocational Education and Training in Australia. TGA is the official National Register of information on Training Packages, Qualifications, Courses, Units of Competency and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) and has been developed for experienced training sector users.
- Access Audits Australia:
Access Audits Australia regularly publishes the popular free Access News newsletter. This contains a mix of articles on recent happenings in the disability access industry, changes in legislation and regulations, information on projects and products, as well as a little bit of fun. This is distributed either as a PDF file, a print copy or a text only copy.
- Flex e-News is a monthly newsletter of the Australian Flexible Learning Framework. It provides information on what is happening in the Framework and to read about new developments in flexible learning.
- Infoxchange Disability News - A free interactive website with the latest news, events, funding opportunities and services for people with a disability, carers and disability service workers across Victoria.
- Training Packages @ Work - A monthly on-line newsletter for teachers, trainers and assessors in the vocational education and training sector, providing the latest information on training packages and their implementation, as well as providing you best examples and case studies of best practice in delivery from training packages.
- The VICSERV Factsline is the free emailed newsletter to the PDSS Sector. The Factsline contains information relating to the Mental Health sector including announcements. It is sent out via email fortnightly to interested people and organisations.
- Australian Apprenticeship Centre
- NAC InfoService - Provides training package information to the New Apprenticeship Centres.
- Allens Arthur Robinson - A leading Australian Law firm providing a very informative website on all matters dealing with privacy.
- Privacy Victoria - Privacy Victoria regulates how Victorian government agencies and local councils handle personal information.
We cannot deal with issues relating to the private sector and medical or health records, but we can help direct you.
- Office of the Health Services Commissioner
- Training and Development Subjects - (Big Dog's HR Link Page) This website contains links to training and learning resources such as.
- Writing Policy and Organisational Manuals - These tools are designed to help people working in smaller community organisations develop written policies and organisational manuals.
Victorian Department of Human Services Useful Links
- Day Service Guidelines
- Day Services User Handbook - Understanding you Options
- Individual Support Package Frequently Asked Questions
- Individual Support Package Guidelines and Info
- Individual Support Package Handbook
- Information on Individual Support Packages
- Peer Support Guide
- Self-directed Support
- Self Directed Support for Service Providers
- Reorientation of day services
- Achieving Their Own Lives: The Implementation Of Individualised Funding For People With Intellectual Disability
Edited by Bigby and Fyffe 8 papers and summary of discussion
- Australian Federation of Disability Organisations:
- Dr Laragy – Presentation:
- Community Resource Unit
- In-control Australia - foundation member of In Control International with close links to In Control UK. Through our partnership with In Control UK and other In Control groups around the world we can share information, research, stories, and develop tools to use for self-directed funding
- Julia Farr Associates - website containing extensive information, including podcasts on Self-directed funding
- National Inquiry into Long Term Care and Support Funding Assistance:
- National Disability Strategy
- WA - Community Living Project:
- You2choose.com - a UK online Social Care and Support Services Directory aimed at Individual Budget Holders (under the Government’s scheme of Personalisation), Self Funders, Brokers and Advocates so that they can search, reserve, book and pay for the goods and services they want from Service Suppliers (care homes, nursing agencies, home care agencies etc) 24/ 7 in real time over the internet.
- Research & Training Centre on Community Living – University of Minnesota
(“Find, Choose & Keep Great DSPs, A Toolkit for People with Disabilities Looking for Quality, Caring and Committed Dires Support Professionals”)http://ildspinitiative.com/docs/ToolkitforPeoplewithDisabilites.pdf
- The Better Health Channel - Find any health service in Victoria.
- Infoxchange Service Seeker - electronic directory of community support services, provides access to 86,046 health, welfare and community service records.
- Accessability: Online Access for People With Disabilities - At this website you will find detailed information on a wide range of issues, products and services associated with access to online services for people with disabilities.
- Bobby - a website providing a free service to help web page developers check their site for access for people with a disability.
- Disability Information Network Australia (DINA) - A website outlining the aims an objectives of DINA. DINA is a national group of disability information providers with interest in resource and information sharing and networking.
- Microsoft Accessibility providing information about the built-in accessibility features in Microsoft products that you can adjust to meet your needs.
- Web Access Initiative - providing information on accessibility of the Web through five primary areas of work: technology, guidelines, tools, education and outreach, and research and development.
- Adobe® Acrobat® Reader® is free software that lets you view and print Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
- Macromedia Flash Player is a free software that lets you view content created with Macromedia Flash.
- Macromedia Shockwave Player - Macromedia Shockwave Player, allows you to view and use interactive Web Content such as multimedia games, learning applications, and product demonstrations. A Flash Player is automatically included with any download of the Shockwave Player. This is a free download.
- Microsoft Download - download software such at the latest Microsoft Explorer Internet browser.
- Mojo Mail - Mojo Mail is Free E-mail List Management System to use on your website.
- Netscape Download - download the latest version of Netscape Internet browser.
- Winzip - WinZip brings the convenience of Windows to the use of Zip files and other compression formats.
- WS_FTP - Transfer files between local & remote systems while enjoying the utmost in security, ease of use, reliability, and efficiency.
- YABB Forum - YaBB is a FREE, downloadable Perl Discussion software application
that allows you to provide a real-time chat and support system for your visitors.